This is another in a series of recipes I made to try and use up some apples I had rolling off of my kitchen counter.
Why did I buy so many apples, you ask? Because I’m crazy! First, I bought a bag of MacIntosh apples, and then I heard that Cortlands were good, so I bought a bag of those… and then I bought a bag of my favourite kind, Granny Smith.
I am an applepotamus.
This adorable dish is great for weekend brunch. It sounds like a weird combination to some people – apple and cheddar really isn’t that odd of a pairing! At the same time, it is hard to decide whether this tastes more like a savoury dish or a dessert.
Although sweet from the apple, the dough is not especially sweet, so it’s perfectly fine for a main course!
This sounds weird, but the apple and cheese melted together to make a sort of gravy inside the parcel. It was a tasty mix of sweet and salty, all oozy (but in a good way)!
Recipe after the jump!
Cheddar Apple Bundles
Modified from this recipe on bhg.com.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cut up
- 6 to 8 Tbsp. cold water
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (about 2 cups)
- Combine brown sugar and pecans; set aside.
- In food processor combine flour, 1/2 cup of the cheese, granulated sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover and process with one on/off turn. Add butter. Cover; process with several on/off turns until size of small peas.
- With processor running, slowly add water to make dough come together in a ball. Gently knead until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Divide dough in 8 pieces. For each bundle, on floured surface roll dough in 8-inch circle.
- Place 3 tablespoons cheese and 1/4 cup apple in center. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon nut mixture. Brush dough edges with water. Bring up dough edges and press together to seal.
- Sealed sides up, place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- Cool 10 minutes on baking sheet. Serve warm. Makes 8 servings.